Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Update on the canned chicken...

Remember how I said one bottle didn't seal? Well, I opened it and used it tonight and it was AMAZING!!! I stuck a fork in the bottle to try to get a chunk out and it just shredded. It was cooked so perfectly. I thought that it would probobly be ok in recipes but maybe not so much by itself, but I seriously could have eaten the entire jar. It was so tender and yummy. I definately prefer it over regular canned chicken. It tasted so much fresher. I'm not sure how much of that will change over time.

In answer to some of your questions... It is very very easy. It takes a lot of time but not hands on time. You just can't leave your house while it's going because you have to watch it. You have to use a pressure canner not a steam canner like you usually do for fruit. And, no, you don't have to refrigerate it. Just stick it on your shelf for about 4-6 years. I also did the math and figured out that ounce for ounce it is about 40 cents cheaper to can in yourself the first time and almost half the price once you own the jars. You are not supposed to use jars you bought used (like at DI) in pressure canners because you don't know how old they are or their condition. You are supposed to buy them new and then you can reuse them after that.

Let me know if you guys have any questions! I just found myself a new hobby! I'll let you know how ground beef turns out when I try it!

2 comments:

Jess said...

I just might have to give this a try!

halliday6 said...

Did you know your friend is the canning queen? The ground beef is o.k. if you use very lean beef. Otherwise it gets too mushy to use in most recipes. And the shelf life is actually much much longer. I;d say you're safe for about 15 years. Roasts or steaks are also wonderful for things like BBQ beef or chimichangas. Later!