Sunday, June 8, 2008

Look how domestic I am!

Guess what I did this weekend! I canned chicken! Yes, I really canned my own chicken. Wierd, I know. But it was so fun and I'm so proud of myself. I borrowed my mother-in-law's pressure canner and my friend, Lisa, and I figured it out together. It was actually really really easy. If any of you want me to show you how I can. I was planning on doing 12 pounds of chicken but I was having so much fun and chicken was still on sale so I did 12 more pounds. Out of 24 pints of chicken only one didn't seal! So, they don't look entirely appetizing... But I'm sure when I go to use them they'll taste fine in a recipe. I actually opened the can that didn't seal to check it out and it shredded with one pull of the fork so it's cooked perfectly! I'm so proud of myself!




Also, check out my garden! Behind Caleb are the peas and carrots. The next picture is tomato plants and strawberries. And the last picture is zuchinni. Not pictured are squash, cucumber and bell peppers. Actually, the bell peppers aren't even poking through the ground yet... maybe they won't be joining us this year. We shall see.


7 comments:

Kelly said...

LINDS!! hahaha.. that looks fun!! Your garden is coming along SOO well!! I love it! I wish I had one!!

Megan said...

Whoa! Watch out Martha, here comes Lindsey!! You are so fun!

courtneyb said...

I never knew you could can chicken until this year!! Now that is something worth taking the time to can. If you do another session, I'm in!

Saun and Wes said...

You are so domestic! I like your canning pictures. And I think you look great, by the way. I didn't know you were in so much pain. You are always happy and I never hear you complain.

Unknown said...

what? you can can chicken? whoops. goes to show how much i know about that department of pioneering. does it taste like the regular chicken you can buy in cans? do you have to refrigerate it? wow. i must find out more...

Jess said...

Very domestic...looks like you enjoyed yourself. I'm dreaming of a garden. My friend gives me fresh tomatoes and zuccini out of hers, and I feel guilty taking it because I really had plans to have a garden this year. There's always next year......

Kim said...

I didn't know you could can chicken. How do you do it?