Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Aubrey's New Accessory

We found out yesterday that Aubrey is going to be sporting one these for the next few months. This is quite possibly the most expensive baby accessory on the planet. In fact, I'm sure of it. They measured her diagonally across her head and compared the two measurements. If they are more than 6 mm different they reccomend a helmet. She was off by 13 mm. So, more than double. The ratio of the length of her head to the width was also way off from average. Her head basically cliffs off in the back. I had a hard time with the idea at first but I'm over it and ok with it now. I'll have to do something cute to it. Not sure what. I'm thinking maybe some vinyl stickers that look like a headband? I don't know how that would look. I've seen lots of boy helmets where they make it look like a football helmet. Has anyone seen any cute girl ideas?

Want to know how I'm saving tons of money right now?

Anyone with a baby really needs to do this. I'm not sure why I didn't do this back when we were super poor students because it is so easy.

I make my own baby food! Here's how to do it in a nut shell.

Buy a package of frozen or fresh veggies. (I haven't tried fruit yet but i'm sure it'd be the same minus the cooking part). Cook it until they're very soft. Throw them in the blender with some water and blend until they are the right consistency for your baby. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze. Plop into baggies. I put about three servings into each baggie and just thaw one baggie at a time. I use that food for the next couple meals. It sounds like it would take a long time but it really doesn't. Trust me, I'm busy too and if I can do it, so can you! Here's how the money savings looks: I paid $1 for a huge bag of frozen peas. It made about 16 servings. You'll pay 50 cents each for the jars of baby food.

These are actually carrots from our garden last year that I canned. During the canning process they got way soft so they're turning into baby food. I am such a good mom.



She's happy when mommy saves money. And I'm happy too, since I'm going to be spending so much on her stinking new hat.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

oh wow, how fun to make that food!! haha, you would make her food. You are super woman in everyway. If I can be half the mother you are, I will be so happy. Cant wait to see Aubreys new hat. hehe. She will be adorable now matter what and it will be good for her. Teresas little boy had to wear one and it made a big difference.. She will be fine. Love you.

Em and Ms said...

My friend's little boy had to wear one of those helmets. I have to tell you, beware the comments from strangers who will think you're a bad or super overprotective mom. Come up with witty retorts ahead of time. It'll be worth it in the end, and besides, she's so cute it can't change that!

Saun and Wes said...

You are SUCH a good mom! And look how happy Aubrey is. I bet she is smiling because she is so excited to get her new hat and wear it 23 hours a day. At least she won't have to do her hair every day. Maybe I should get me a helmet...

Katrina said...

Anders loved to lay on the floor and look to one side. He was happier doing that than having me hold him. The mean dr. yelled at me and then told me to make him start looking the other way or he'd have to wear a helmet. Anyhoo, his head is still a little lopsided. Maybe he should have had a helmet.