Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My life, as I know it, is about to change forever...

Ok, so maybe that title is a little dramatic. But... maybe not.

It all began in the 4th grade. In Mrs. Prokop's class. I got my big coke bottle glasses. Bright pink plastic frames. I was so embarrassed that I sat in my chair with my hands cupped around my eyes so no one would see my new glasses. Pretty inconspicuous, I know. I was chubby too. Pretty much worst case scenario.

Life got a little better in 8th grade when I got my contacts. I've worn contacts ever since. Every single day of my life. My eye sight is awful. Really. Terrible. For those of you familiar with prescriptions, I'm a -5 and -6. My eyesight is worse than 20/400 which is the worst "grade" they give an eyesight.

Tomorrow all that will change! I'm going in for customvue ilasik! I will finally be able to see my alarm clock and not have to worry about fishing around for my glasses when I have to get up in the night with kids and many many other daily annoyances. I've been wearing these gosh awful glasses for the last two weeks and I am so ready to have them gone. I wore them on my race Saturday and the rain made rain streaks on the them. When I'd breathe in and out they'd fog up. On Sunday I was putting on eye liner and I was really struggling because in order for me to actually see my eye I had to get so close to the mirror that my eye liner brush kept hitting hitting the mirror. There wasn't enough room between my face and the mirror!

I had my pre-op appointment today. I went through a whole array of tests and I am all good to go! My appointment for surgery is tomorrow at 9:30am! I'm telling Brandon he has to take lots of pictures to share with you all. I am supposed to come home and sleep most of the first 18 hours or so (they load me up on the Valium :-) ) so you may not see an update on here until at least Thursday.

I'm so excited! Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for you! My eyesight is not quite as bad, but almost! I understand completely the glasses in the middle of the night annoyance (especially with kids)! I hope your surgery and recovery goes well! I look forward to hearing all about it...I have been a big scaredy cat when I have considered getting this done.

kentandnellie said...

I am sooo excited for you! I had Lasik done a few years ago and it might be one of the best investments ever. You are going to LOVE not living in a blurred world. And no glasses or contacts? It's a dream come true. Good luck with everything!

Melissa said...

I still liked you, even in Mrs. Prokop's class, glasses and all :) Good luck! Maybe one of these days I'll finally do it--I'm annoyed with contacts and I've only been wearing them since graduating college!

Saundra said...

I hope you are sound asleep right now and enjoying it. Call me when you have recovered. I want to hear all about it!