Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sclerotherapy Attempt #1



Today was Caleb's first Sclerotherapy treatment. It started snowing and we hit bad traffic so we were about 15 minutes late to his 9am appointment. We checked in and got taken back to a room and then had to wait until about 11:15 before he got his IV.

He was so brave for his IV. He didn't even flinch or make a sound! Around 11:30 they were finally ready for us. The radiologist came in and told us what to expect. He said the lymph tissue is basically marbled into, wrapped around and intertwined in his normal tissue. He said getting it out will be like mixing 2 T. of pepper and 1 c. of salt and saying get out the pepper without ruining the salt. He kept saying he has no idea if it will work but there are not really any risks so we might as well try. He said he was optimistic that it would work but I was kind of discouraged.

We walked into the treatment room and Caleb kind of freaked out. I think because of all the big machines and there were 5 or 6 strangers in scrubs walking around. I got him calmed down and they hooked up his sedation medication to his IV and within minutes he was asleep!

After about 30 minutes they wheeled him into recovery and I talked with the doctor again. He said he didn't see any vesicles to inject into and treat from the inside so he basically stuck the needle way in through all the tissue and as he pulled it out injected the bleomicin. He said it was like killing the weeds by treating the soil. (Loved the metaphors.) He said we probably won't notice a difference at all until after at least 3 treatments. He recommended just scheduling about three treatments and then we would reevaluate and see if it is making a difference.




Caleb was doing well and eating as many popsicles as they would give him (4). He got up to use the bathroom on our way out after discharge and he started throwing up all over. They ended up hooking him up to another IV in his other hand and giving him Zofran for his tummy. So we had to wait for another 45 min or so.

After we left he barfed on the way out to the car, on the way home and when we got home for a while. Now, about an hour later, he is playing the wii with Brandon and I think feeling better. Next time they can give him the zofran earlier so this won't happen again hopefully.

He is in good spirits and tolerating it well. When he woke up he said, "Is it big and swollen?" and I said "Yeah, it's pretty big" and he goes "YEEEESSSSS!" I think he wants a battle wound to show his friends. The doctor thinks he will be able to go to school tomorrow for his Valentine's day party and he is thrilled with that.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. But please don't stop! We will need them throughout the entire process!

On a different note, yesterday we had our first annual Valentine's Fondue Party! It was so much fun! We had my parents, my grandma and the Nye's over for dinner. We did all sorts of dippers into swiss cheese and chocolate caramel dip. The food was yummy and we had a lot of fun. I forgot to take pictures of the spread so you'll just have to believe me that it was good!

7 comments:

Liz said...

He is such a little trooper... with such a GREAT attitude to go along with it! :) I'm so glad things went so well!

Kelly said...

awwww, poor dude!! His sad eyes made my heart hurt but Im glad that this is easier than the last treatment (surgery). I miss him. and CUTE APRON haha

Saundra said...

Oh, heck yes it was good! Thanks for inviting us. Also, sweet little Caleb. What a trooper! I didn't know his lip got so swollen that morning. When I saw him the next day, he looked normal.

Gingerlylizzy said...

Poor sweet guy! It is hard to watch "littlies" go through that kind of stuff. What a brave little boy!

McCain Family said...

Hi Lindsey! Little Caleb is such a sweetie and I'm glad he is doing better.

Fondue is so yummy! You look so cute!

corine said...

I used to get sick after i had a surgery, but someone told me if you eat some candy the night before it helps. I have done that ever sense and I do not get sick anymore. Just a tip for his next treatment :)

Willie Summers said...

Get well Caleb!! It's really hard for mom's watching their child undergoing surgeries. I pray for your fast recovery. - www.esiw.com