Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cellulitis

Last Tuesday Caleb called me from school saying he was sick. I went to pick him up and his lip was really swollen (like it normally is when he's sick) and he slept most of the day.

When he woke up the next morning his face was red and swollen and his lip was blistering. We took him to the Dr and he sent us straight to the hospital to be admitted and hooked up to IV antibiotics.

Turns out it was cellulitis, a skin infection. It started as strep and must have gotten into his skin through cracks in his lip because it was so swollen.

He was in the hospital for 48 hours and then sent home on oral antibiotics. He kind of loved the hospital the first day. Unlimited wii time, tons of movie choices, as much ice cream as he could eat(which wasn't much since he was so sick) and lots of root beer. After the first night sleep and getting woken up ever few hours for vitals and a blood test he was not loving it so much. The second day there his face was really itchy and it hurt him really bad. He was really uncomfortable. Poor kid.







Caleb is such a strong brave boy. It broke my heart as he laid there trying to be brave through the iv's and CT scan as tears welled up in his eyes. He didn't ever flinch or cry out. The tears just softly dripped. It was horrible.

Now he is feeling so much better. The redness lead to peeling and now it is pretty much gone! Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. He got so many cards from friends and phone calls and I could tell he felt very loved. Thank you for your kindness and friendship.

3 comments:

Saun and Wes said...

That makes me want to cry that he was so brave and quiet, yet the tears dripped out of his eyes. Oh, I would have cried too!

Lisa said...

How sad; poor Caleb! Those pictures of him in the hospital are so sad. I am glad he is doing better. Heidi has been talking about Brynley lately, it's funny. She's asked twice to invite her over, but I keep explaining that we live too far away now for a play date like that, lol.

ralphswurld said...

I have had cellulitis several times in the past 15 years and I was hospitalized 3 times for it. Cellulitis is not something to be casual about, it is a serious infection of the skin and subcutaneous tissue. I have permanent scars on my legs from my most serious cellulitis attacks in the past.


cellulean reviews